Sunday, July 8, 2012

Smoke on the Water

I am not a fan of July. In fact, it ranks at the bottom of my list as far as months go, and within its humid grasp is my least favorite holiday, the 4th of July. Call me unpatriotic if you like but I do not enjoy the throngs of people that flood our little island creating traffic nightmares and 24 hour parties. And I take no pleasure in things blowing up, especially when detonated in the middle of the street or on a boat by people that are so "under the influence" I'm surprised they don't catch fire.

Having a fireman for a son, I've become aware over the years of the dangers of fireworks in the hands of the average citizen. They land in parched grasses, on rooftops and on cars. I've seen tourists shoot the rockets up my street at car level resulting in a house fire two doors up from me, all at three in the morning. So no, I am not a fan.

Fireworks are illegal, say the signs when you cross the bridge to the Outer Banks. But seriously, maybe I shouldn't be placing all the blame on the average visitor since they are sold at all the local stores. Is it me or does that not make sense to you?

So it didn't surprise me when this year smoke was spotted on the water, or more precisely, in the dry marsh grass around Little Colington island across the bay from me. Swing by the post office and you'll hear numerous stories about how it started and a controlled burn to combat it. One thing everyone was sure of though was that it began with fireworks. Whatever happened turned a sunny, summer morning into a "end of the world" landscape for a number of hours. Sightseers clogged the road along the sound by my house making it impassable in some places. People love drama.

But basically I am an optimist so I'll turn my eye to the bright side. The 4th is over and people have settled down a bit. The next evening, the fiery, less-than-full moon was dripping gorgeous golds, reds and orange from all the leftover debris in the atmosphere.


Next up : Labor Day



One day, someone showed me a glass of water that was half full. And he said, "Is it half full or half empty?" So I drank the water. No more problem.
                                       - Alejandro Jodorowsky

No comments:

Post a Comment