Sunday, November 25, 2012

Once Upon A Time

The Sky is Falling
Once upon a time there was a lady who loved to draw.

Jack and the Golden Acorn
And with a click of my boot heels, my last show of the season, Once Upon a Time, has come and gone, and I am now able to catch my breath. The reception was truly magical, more than I could have wished for, with strong sales for which I am extremely grateful. But any artist who lives and breathes their work will tell you, the real highlights of a show, the things you will long remember, usually have nothing to do with the money.

Throughout the day, old friends appeared, some I hadn't seen in a very long time. And I got to meet new people, some of which purchased my work in the past and some that found me for the first time. I spoke with a few visitors who had hesitated about coming to the show because they couldn't afford to make a purchase. I told them how happy I was they chose to spend some time with me because it's about sharing your visions and exchanging ideas, perhaps more so than selling a painting.

Red Was Here
I had the pleasure of meeting a young artist by the name of Zachary and his lovely family. How wonderful that they chose to spend part of Black Friday in an art gallery rather than elbowing their way through a chain department store. Hopefully the variety of art Zachary got to see will stick to his bones long after the season of hype wears off.
Grasshopper and the Ants 

But the most poignant moment of the day came when a long time collector arrived, and I learned his lovely wife had passed away this past spring. I was devastated for him and his family. His wife was a wonderful artist in her own right, and he conveyed to me that she had felt inspired by my work. He told me about a trip they had made to Thailand where she had acquired a lovely silver bracelet which he then presented to me as a gift. I will wear that silver band of memories with honor and loving thoughts of both Nancy and Conrad.

 At the end of the day, I drove home along the back road to watch the autumn sunset over the Albemarle Sound. At my front door, I found my moonflower vine ready to give up the last of its magic to me. The paper pods have now yielded 22 milk-white seeds full of next year's enchanted blooms.

Once upon a time, there was a lady who loved to draw. And she believed in magic.



"The moment you doubt whether you can fly, you cease forever to be able to do it."   -  J. M. Barrie
                                                                   



4 comments:

  1. I'm glad your show went well... you had some really nice pieces...remembering you in my prayers...

    ReplyDelete
  2. How beautiful! I'm glad your show was a success, in all ways :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. the heart of a woman
    the heart of a woman goes forth with the dawn,
    as a lone bird,soft winging,so restlessly on,
    afar o'er life's turrets and vales does it roam,
    in the wake of those echoes that heart calls home.

    the heart of a woman falls back with the night,
    and enters some alien cage in its plight,
    and tries to forget it has dreamed of the stars,
    while it breaks,breaks,breaks on sheltering bars.
    -georgia douglas johnson

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you all for your lovely comments. They bring me a lot of joy as I sit here recuperating. Nice to know people are reading the blog.

      Delete