Sunday, May 12, 2013

Simplicity of Line


As much as I love the arrival of Spring, I also find it an unsettling time, a season of quests, tests and hopes and an effort to reaffirm a belief that all will be well in the end. For those of us making a living in a resort area, we learn to live by the season, earning our income during the peak times and rationing it out through the oh-so-quiet off season. By the time spring arrives with all its gaiety, we are holding our breath while waiting for the return of our patrons and a robust economy that will support the importance of art in our lives. We cannot force the timing or changes we want to occur, yet each year it seems I must relearn that same lesson. So the best way for me to do that is to simplify my life and have faith that all will be well.


One valuable exercise for me is to simplify my work, deciding what's important right now, in this moment. So in an effort to get to that desired state of mind I seek each spring, I spend some time doing what I love most, drawing with a simple pencil and pad of paper, looking for the skeletons and bare bones that lurk beneath the onslaught of nature's spring offerings.








There's such beauty in a simple line, and by focusing on lines, I find it as meditative as my daily Tai Chi, stilling my mind and just letting my hand follow what my eyes see. Sounds simple doesn't it? Believe me, it's not, but it's well worth the effort.

So this week I'm offering three glimpses into a simple Thursday morning spent at Aviation Park swathed in sunshine, spring shadows and faith.

A favorite movie of mine is, The Best Exotic Marigold Hotel. So I'll leave you with a favorite line from the film. "Everything will be alright in the end. If it's not alright then it's not yet the end."
                                                                                 

3 comments:

  1. " We get up in the morning and do our best, and nothing else matters"

    pencil and paper, exquisite...

    ReplyDelete