Saturday, June 1, 2013

Sounds of Summer

Step outside and sit down. Take a deep breath, close your eyes, empty your mind of all the junk that has taken up residence throughout the day and just listen to the orchestra surrounding you. Beneath the surface of the neighbor's barking dog, traffic from the street, and the stereo in the car drifting by, you will begin to hear the sounds of the earth, nature's voice.

We are a visual species, using sight as a first line of reference. And that's wonderful, especially for an artist that depends on this sense more than any other. But we have been gifted with five (yes, five) others and how often do we really use them? Do we smell the greening of the earth? Do we inhale the freshness of a rain shower? And do we ever stop to really listen to the intricate sounds around us?

red-wing blackbird on the right
At The Crooked Little House, sounds abound, pushing in through the open windows and greeting me as I step outside. I have one red-winged blackbird that comes to the feeder several times a day. I always know when he's here because he announces his arrival with a sharp, clear, single-note whistle. This sends the squabbling finches off in a huff. Then the blue jay flies in with a scream. And the two squirrels thump loudly onto the table under the pergola to gather the seeds I throw out for the ground feeders. The wind rustles through the ever-thickening foliage of the trumpet vine and the buzzing in the ligustrum is so loud you can almost feel it vibrate as all the creatures visit for these couple of weeks when it is at its peak of bloom.

But the sounds don't cease when the sun goes down. I have a small bamboo wind chime that is near my bedroom window, rattling softly through the dark accompanied by the frog that lives behind the shutters. The frogs have returned to TCLH this year, and this one issues his call throughout the night, invading my dreams before the chatter of Buddha and Erb rouse me in the morning light.

So as we sit on the cusp of summer, take a few minutes this week and listen to the language of the earth.


"I have enjoyed greatly the second blooming that comes when you suddenly find - at the age of fifty, say - that a whole new life has opened before you, filled with things you can think about, study, or read about ... It is as if a fresh sap of ideas and thoughts was rising in you."   Agatha Christie



8 comments:

  1. It's funny that we both blogged about our houses this week :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. You and I are so much alike! Enjoyable reading on your blog.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you. Enjoying my blue jays, doves, even Eurasian-collared, and my catbirds (big favorite right now) are having a big time! Everything out there is appreciative of water offerings this week(too dry)...happy trails and puppy dog tails

    (sorry had to edit bunch of mistakes)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nice to hear from you! We have a friend in common, Eve T. I've noticed all my birds gathering around the water too. So hot I've had to fill it a couple of times a day. Thanks for reading my blog!

      Delete
  5. I REALLY ,REALLY LIKE THE ILLUSTRATION "THE BEE BUSH":)
    MISS YOUR LETTERS...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Patricia! I'm sorry, didn't realize I owed you a letter. I will pen one tonight, promise!

      Delete