Saturday, June 22, 2013

They Do Exist!

Tennyson asks,
"Who would be a mermaid fair
Singing alone, combing her hair
Under the sea in a golden curl
With a comb of pearl
On a throne?"

It's inevitable I guess, living on a barrier island, that I would eventually write about what lurks beneath the waves; not whales or dolphins or turtles, but the creatures that visitors only hear about and locals may only see in their dreams. This summer I am once again being pulled into the realm of mermaids and sea monsters.

Whether real or imaginary I can't say, but many still believe in their existence, and I am entranced as well to stories of sailors facing monsters of the deep attacking their ships and sirens luring them into the briny sea. This subject matter, along with my attraction to antique maps, has encouraged me to explore this theme further.

So this week I'd like to share a couple of new paintings of different kinds of wild creatures. Though not in my backyard, their home is only a half mile away from my back door. I thought you'd like to see how they evolved, so the photos show the paintings in progress and the final results.

I hope this fires up your imagination and encourages you to go look for the unexpected wherever you live, whether it be mermaids, faeries or little green men
from the red planet. What would life be like if we knew all the answers or stopped believing in what could be? I don't want to live in that kind of world. Let me dream on.



"Dreams are not made to put us to sleep, but to awaken us."
Goemans


2 comments:

  1. Get out there Patricia and search for your mermaid!

    ReplyDelete