Saturday, August 10, 2013

Sea Monsters on Parade

Graveyard of the Atlantic Museum
I feel an important part of being an artist is sharing what you do with others, not just by showing your creations in galleries, but by taking the time to meet and speak with people about what inspires you and how you do it. And working alone in the studio day after day makes one eager for contact with others of the same species. Though this picture of me makes me appear dour, I assure you I thoroughly enjoyed myself.

This week I was honored to be asked to spend some time at the Graveyard of the Atlantic Museum in Hatteras, NC sharing my newly released reproductions of sea monsters and talking with visitors about living on the Outer Banks and what it's like making my living as an artist here. Living in a tourist area, I am fortunate to be able to meet people from all over the world; wonderful artists, would-be artists and people who just love art. This time I met map lovers and sea monster fans who I think enjoyed seeing my new Outer Banks Sea Monsters. Do they really exist? All I'll say is this: I have seen many things while looking out over the ocean that defy explanation. And isn't it more fun to have a little magic in your life?

I was lucky enough to have a close friend visiting this week so he accompanied me on the trip. On the way home we stopped at Buxton Village Books, owned by a wonderful friend I only get to see during the off season when our schedules let up a bit. If you are ever visiting Hatteras Island, take a few minutes to go to Frisco and visit Gee Gee's bookshop. What a delight, chock full of magic is the only way I can describe it.

Being out in public and meeting people is a real treat for me, but it can be tiring just the same. Coming home to Buddha and Erb is always a welcome finish to the day. And I was rewarded with the first-of-the-season moonflower bloom that evening.


"The cure for anything is salt water - sweat, tears, or the sea."

                                              Isak Dinesen

2 comments:

  1. I LOVE YOUR SEA MONSTERS:)
    THANKS FOR SHARING.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Patricia. I didn't realize how many people loved them.

    ReplyDelete