Saturday, October 19, 2013

Simply the Best

The best of friends.
The best food.
The best location.

Sometimes I forget how lucky I am. During the busy season, I rarely take the time to just stop and let it all sink in. I get to do what I love for a living and I do it surrounded by a loving group of friends, a great community and in one of the most beautiful places on earth.

One of those close friends is leaving for the winter, not to return until the spring, breezing in with the Red-Winged Blackbirds and the first wave of tourists. So three of us got together to enjoy one last meal together before she takes flight on Monday. We have been friends for almost 18 years, since Susan and I first moved to this little island. I couldn't ask for anyone better.

The bistro sits on the edge of the sea, and while a gentle wind tossled our words back and forth, we watched a moonrise over the waves behind the swaying sea oats. We shared a glass, or maybe two, of wine and listened to some tunes from a talented musician from Nashville. Our laughter mixed with the tables nearby, everyone enjoying the beauty of the moment with no worries about yesterday or tomorrow, simple the best of the present moment.

We stayed until the moon became nestled in the night clouds. Marie and I made plans for next week but there was a gaping hole where Susan would have been. I am so grateful for nights like these and must remember to enjoy more of them. And thanks to both Susan and Marie for taking these pics.

So goodbye my friend. If the fates remain in our favor, we'll see each other in the spring.

from left to right: Marie, myself and Susan

No comments:

Post a Comment