Sunday, January 26, 2014

Night of the Cephalopod

The Frank Stick Memorial Art Show, named in honor of Mr. Stick, a local artist and environmentalist, held its opening reception last night. The show is in its 36th year and is a much anticipated event. Though temperatures were cold with a slashing wind, the Ghost Fleet Gallery where the event is held was wall to wall with artists and art lovers. One of the gallery owners, Pat, is seen here in the white shirt, always the gracious hostess making sure everyone is having a good time.

I am very pleased to say that my painting, "INKed" took the Excellence award. I truly did not expect this since as most of you know, my work is a bit "off kilter" and not the usual tastes of judges. Maybe it's all those shows on A&E, like Bad Ink and Tattoos After Dark (or something like that) which contributed to my timely theme. But whatever the reason, it was nice to see that ribbon next to my eight-armed bad boy.

I have a couple of thoughts on art competitions in general. They shouldn't be taken too seriously since it's only one or two opinions that decide these things. But on the other hand, those people that say they don't care about awards, balderdash! It's still nice to win. Thank you Dare County Arts Council.

4 comments:

  1. Wish I could have been there. Off kilter or not, your work is fabulous and the award well deserved!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wish you were here too. Thanks for the compliment. Can't wait till you return home!

      Delete