Wednesday, January 15, 2014

winter pleasures

One of my favorite things about living on the Outer Banks is the arrival of the winter sunset. It's almost as if we are offered this gift to make up for the raw winds and rain that is so present this time of year. Summer visitors have no idea what they're missing.

Tonight as I was getting ready to prepare a light salad for dinner in an effort to whittle away the four pounds I added over the holidays, I glanced out the window and saw this evening sky. So of course I had to go out to the deck and look out over the sound towards the mainland. This technicolor treat only lasts a few minutes so I stand quietly and absorb all I can. I remember when the boys were still living at home and someone would shout, "Look at the sunset." We would all go outside to stand quietly and take it in. Now that they have porches and decks of their own, I hope they are still taking the time to enjoy their own sunsets.

2 comments:

  1. Happy New Year Liz. I recall one late winter afternoon in your home....my grandfather was sitting in the livingroom with us and I said, "Pappa, look at that gorgeous sunset!" and his reply was....."I've already seen one"! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's so funny. I love that we have this connection so you can understand my love for this home.

    ReplyDelete