Tuesday, February 18, 2014

A Small Life Not Forgotten


Spring is coming in on the softness of feathers.

 Each morning around this time of year, I keep an eye out for the Cedar Waxwings. They appear like magic with the shift in light each spring, usually in late March, perching in the mimosa tree and eating berries from the nearby bushes. The flock always has between 25 and 30 of them that stay for only a few days then move on. It's a brief pleasure that I look forward to after a long winter like this one.


This year, I think they are making an early appearance. Though not in my neighborhood as yet, my friend who lives on a nearby island, had one fly into her window and sadly it died. She was kind enough to bring it by my house so I could honor its life by drawing the sienna and lemon yellow beauty. These were quick sketches since Buddha and Erb caught sight of what I was doing and wouldn't leave me or the poor bird alone, uttering throaty noises only a cat can make. I've placed it in the freezer and plan to try again during kitty naptime.

Thank you Kay for thinking of me.

5 comments:

  1. Kitty nap time runs from 2 to 3:30 pm, and that's it. My boys are not sleepers so I need to work fast!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Replies
    1. They are gorgeous with their black masks and usually they have red "wax" drippings on their wing tips. I think this is a juvenile; he's small and hence no wax except for the yellow on his tail.

      Delete
  3. i don't think i've ever seen one until now...

    ReplyDelete