Thursday, June 12, 2014

The Importance of Dads

Happy Father's Day.

Father's Day is this coming Sunday. My dad passed away many years ago when I was still young and in the process of becoming. He was young too. I don't remember him as well as I would like but I do recall some things about my father that I will always treasure. I'd like to share them with you and with him if he's "watching".

I remember going for long walks in the woods; me with a lasso hoping to catch a deer. He would hold my hand and tell me to be on the lookout. When I didn't catch one, he would say, maybe next time.

I remember going ice fishing on Russell Pond; just Dad, my brother and myself. We would bring ice skates and spend hours trying to outwit fish on a cold New England afternoon.

I remember writing notes to him on a daily basis for perhaps a year when I was going through that, "I want a horse." phase. After he died I discovered he had saved every one.

I remember getting a new skating skirt for Christmas, and he took me to the town rink that afternoon. He would hold my hands in a crossover fashion like professional skaters do, and I was so proud to skate with him because he was such a good skater and incredibly handsome.

I remember how each winter, after working hard all day, he would tend to the backyard ice rink he built, spraying thin layers of water to build up a glass-like surface so we could glide endlessly without our skates catching on uneven layers of ice.

And I remember how every Valentine's Day he would bring me the most beautifully decorated heart you can imagine, filled with luscious chocolates.

There are many more memories I have stored away in that special place reserved for kids and their dads. I also have memories of my brother John who stepped in on a regular basis, and still does, as a substitute dad for my boys. So to my brother, and dads, and moms who must be dads too, I wish you a day of joy and love and remembrance.


This is a book I created to honor my father. The picture was taken when he served in the Navy. It's a wistful photograph, one of daydreams and longing, and I call it, "Looking for Mermaids".

2 comments:

  1. This is lovely. Thank you so much for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for commenting. I hope you too have a special place in your heart for a dad or big brother, uncle or friend.

    ReplyDelete