Monday, July 21, 2014

Rocks, Rocks, and More Rocks

I am a lover of rocks; any kind from anywhere. Growing up, I spent many hours with my dad and brother digging for crystals and minerals all over New England. Things like garnets, all kinds of quartz, beryl crystals, etc. were all to be found if you knew where to look.

As I got older I continued to explore with my brother, taking my young sons along to dig for fossils and more rocks. We eagerly awaited the day when a gem and mineral show would come to a nearby town. I was the kid in a candy store minus the calories but much more expensive. When friends would travel overseas, they would ask what I would like them to bring back for me; a scarf? t-shirt? My answer is always a rock. One of my treasures from my friend Carole is a piece of marble from the quarry in Italy where the stone for David was excavated. So if you want to win my heart, give me a rock.

When I relocated to this island, some of my collection wandered off, never to be found again, but for the most part, my hardy friends survived the move and have found homes on my mantle, tables, in bowls and in my yard. When I pick up a snowball quartz I found in Blandford, Massachusetts, I remember that day with my brother and oldest son, clear as a crystal. My brother John is one of those great guys who loves to teach people in a gentle way. He knows so much about the outdoors, and he has helped foster a genuine love and respect of nature in my boys who are now grown men.

So when I heard about a gem and mineral show being held in Virginia Beach this past weekend, I had to go. It wasn't as big as the ones I was used to but oh, the rocks. I spent more money than I should have. But I would rather have a chunk of rock than a piece of jewelry or a new dress. So this picture shows just SOME of the ones I brought home with me; apophyllite, celestite, chalcedony, North Carolina moonstone, black psilomelane, orange and green calcite, labradorite and green opal.

I'm thinking I can find a way to incorporate drawings of these in my paintings. Where I will put my new friends I'm not sure, but hey, there's always room for a another rock.


12 comments:

  1. Oooh! I'm a rock lover too! I used to collect regular stones and pebbles when I was a kid (and seriously, if I find a good one now, in it goes to my pocket), and then a few years ago, I got to know a rock and gem store in my neighbourhood, and worked there for a short bit. Oh, I have quite the stash. All of us who worked there used to joke that our salaries would go right back to the store on payday. I have more loose rocks than jewellery made from it, but they make me happy in any form!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm thinking there are lots and lots of closet rock hounds out there. I am still learning so much and collecting new ones whenever I can. Living on an island though, I miss not going and digging crystals. But my brother and I still share our passion through phone calls and surprise packages in the mail. How lucky are you to have so many. Have you studied any of the metaphysical properties?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have. We had a cool book in the store that went into the metaphysical properties of the stones, but I haven't found any manifestations of those properties when I hold/wear the stones. It could be because I can't remember what each stone is supposed to do for you! I still like reading up on them, and believing they have powers!

      Delete
    2. My favorite book is called, Love is in the Earth. I have had some success working with them but what I feel doesn't always correspond to the book. So I just go by what they feel and do for me. Like you, I believe they have their own energy.

      Delete
  3. I so wish you had been with me! There's going to be another one in October and there's one in Raleigh at some point, I'll check the schedule. Wish I had thought to get some specimens for you but I have duplicates of some so...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very cool! Denny and I both have a love for rocks as you know :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Did not realize that. Hmmmmmmmmmmm. Just thinking.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'd love to see these rocks incorporated into your art work!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You've read my mind! Starting one today if I can find the time!

      Delete
  7. "Nisga'a believe everything has a soul,even the creek.Be careful walking because even the rocks have souls."-Nisga's elder Mansell griffin

    ReplyDelete
  8. I don't know about this but love the quote.

    ReplyDelete