Sunday, August 17, 2014

Love is in the Air

copyright Linda Crouch 2014
It may be the end of summer, but for some creatures it feels like the first day of spring. Love is in the air, I mean, on the tree, for this Polyphemus Moth, found by my friend Linda Crouch. She was kind enough to share her pic with me.

The Polyphemus Moth has a wingspan of 10 to 15 cm. The host trees for the caterpillar are varied but include oak, willow, maple and birch. The adults do not feed.

I have never seen one of these remarkable creatures in my yard. When the adults emerge from their cocoons in the late afternoon, mating begins immediately. This continues through the early morning hours. So everyone, go out and check your trees. Love can still be found, even on these hot and lazy afternoons.

No comments:

Post a Comment