Friday, December 12, 2014

All I want for Christmas is a nuthatch!

I think my favorite winter bird has always been the nuthatch. Each year I would eagerly await their arrival. What attracts me to this feathered comedian is the antics and the fact that they become quite tame once they get used to you. Whenever I would go out to fill up the feeder, one or two of them would sit on the pergola, just above my head, and squeak to me like a pair of mice. They had no fear. and as soon as I rehung the feeder they would hop on the perch or my hand and begin working the sunflower seeds.

But last year was the year of loss. No frogs, spiders, glass lizards or other creatures appeared that I had begun to know during the warmer months. And then winter arrived and not one nuthatch appeared. Some experts say it was the weather conditions that caused all the disruption. I have my own theories. But I'm hoping this winter, a nuthatch will return to make friends.

Copyright E.M. Corsa  2014







No comments:

Post a Comment