Monday, December 15, 2014

Uninvited Guest

Yesterday, a Sharp-shinned hawk came for breakfast. His deep red eyes searched the feeders for a tasty morsel, but this time, the smaller birds were too quick and eluded the agile hawk.


Sharp-shinned hawks are the smallest hawk in North America and often show up at my feeder throughout the winter months. They are a beautiful bird. At first I thought it was a Merlin that had been here before but the red eyes were a help in identifying it.

Does it bother me that I feed the smaller birds which encourages the larger ones to swoop in? No. The hawks must feed too. But I was happy to see everyone escape this time. I managed to get a few blurry pics and do this sketch while the hawk perched in the mimosa tree before lifting off in search of somthing to fill his stomach on this cold morning.


2 comments:

  1. We, too, have hawks that stay around the feeders from time to time. I am very impressed that you have a mimosa - my grandmother had a huge one in the front yard and it collected hummingbirds like crazy. I have planted one in the back yard and hope it will bloom in a few years.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have two mimosas and they pop up all the time, but I've never seen hummingbirds at them. What I do see are lots and lots of butterflies on the blooms. My hummingbirds tend to mob the trumpet vine that climbs all over the pergola.

    Happy Holidays to you!

    ReplyDelete