Saturday, January 17, 2015

Sing Forth

Copyright E.M. Corsa 2014
When I was a child, I recall asking my mother what my shoulder blades were. She told me that was where my angel wings would grow. I checked every day.


I have always loved winged creatures, and I spend hours watching and sketching them. The majority of my fascination is centered on birds. Throughout history and in many cultures today, birds are considered to be divine beings bringing us messages from the angelic realm if only we would listen. It's not just the brilliant cardinals, charming chickadees and the bejeweled hummingbirds that carry this honor even though these are the birds we are most excited to see at our backyard feeders.


But did you know the ordinary sparrows in their various shades of browns and beige symbolize an awakening, representing self-worth and dignity? Their message is to show you how to survive, using their song to urge you to sing forth in your life. Perhaps we need to look beneath the "feathers" of our daily lives to see all the beauty in an ordinary day.


"It is not only fine feathers that make fine birds."    Aesop

4 comments:

  1. Lovely painting - yes, the little brown birds are often the prettiest singers, too :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. The sparrow's chirping "cheer up" song will always remind me of visits to my aunt's home in Brooklyn, NY. Comforting memories confirming what you wrote.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Patty. I am originally from Massachusetts and my husband's family came from Brooklyn. I so miss visiting New York. Glad this post brought back some warm memories.

      Delete