Sunday, February 15, 2015

Morning Study

One of my favorite pleasures is to sit with a cup of coffee in the morning and sketch the birds at the feeders. It's a pleasant way to let my brain wake up, directing my hand while my eyes do all the work. Later on, the brain can kick in for the rest of the day's activities.

Copyright E.M. Corsa 2015
I love this wee warbler, and I look forward to capturing him in all his antics. This sketch was done a few days ago but this morning I observed him in the same spot, once again looking upwards. On this brutally cold morning he was just waiting his turn, watching the starlings fill their bellies at the suet feeder. He knows his time will come. And if the feeders become empty, he knows they will be refilled in a timely fashion.

Today was the first morning I can recall that all the birds, the sparrows, finches, wren and even the grackles arrived and waited just a few feet away while I restocked the store. My hands were hurting from the cold so I can only imagine how much they needed some energy this morning.


4 comments:

  1. Love how he's looking up - maybe waiting for those first snowflakes coming?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yikes, I hope not. We don't get a lot of snow here but then again...

      Delete
  2. Thanks to you and all who brave cold and snow to care for birds!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can't bear to think of any creature out in the cold looking for food. Plus it gives me lots of subject matter to work from.

      Delete