Sunday, March 8, 2015

Spring has officially landed.

Here at The Crooked Little House, spring has officially moved in. It was announced by my mockingbird today, rather loudly, from the top of the cherry tree. I spent the morning puttering outside; a little pruning and transplanting a holly bush. Winter has definitely tagged out and spring has entered the arena.

My poor quince had flowered early only to be smacked by a week of icy cold fingers grabbing at the blossoms and leaves. I thought I had lost the plant for sure. But today I noticed tiny vermilion-colored buds and itty bitty leaves. I do believe it will make a comeback.


My chickadees have selected this house for themselves this season, the cheapest one in the yard. They began building today and when they went out scouting for more nesting material, I saw a couple of sparrows getting ready to move in. This should be interesting. I have six bird houses out and only one is taken so far.



I filled one of my suet cages with assorted bits and pieces of string, cat hair, and other scraps that the birds will pick through. Within five minutes of hanging it, I saw two birds poking at it.



And my beloved wild cherry tree, the most popular spot in the yard, is now 
sporting silken green buds. Within a few days, they'll begin to open.



For lo, the winter is past. The rain is over and gone. The flowers appear on the earth. The time for the singing of the birds has come.

from The Song of Solomon



No comments:

Post a Comment