Thursday, March 26, 2015

The Difference of Doves

I get a lot of questions asking about the difference between our Eurasian Collared Doves and our Mourning Doves. So this morning I saw both of them perched in the mimosa tree just begging for a pic.

The Mourning Dove is smaller in size and has deeper shades of brown. Its tail is pointed.



The Eurasian Collared Dove which has worked its way northward from the Caribbean, is a larger bird and is lighter in color. It also sports a red eye and black collar around the back of its neck. It sports a square cut tail.



Both of them frequent my feeders and the collared doves have a huge flock numbering in the 20s.



3 comments:

  1. The Mourning Doves probably make their cooing sounds all day, but I am most aware of it as the heat of the day rises. Indeed, they are around northern VA all the time and at our feeder, too, but it is only in warmer temps that I hear them. Do you experience this?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hear them all day long but I think the Eurasian Collared doves have taken over. I used to have a lot more Mourning Doves; now only two. But I have oodles of the collared ones! Not sure exactly how they sound. But you've got me curious so I'll keep an ear out.

      Delete
    2. And I'll keep my eyes open for the collared doves, which I haven't noticed before.

      Delete