Sunday, March 1, 2015

The Longest Winter

Copyright E.M. Corsa
Winter has always been one of my favorite times of year on the Outer Banks. We will sometimes get sunny days with temps in 70s which balance out the cold, windy ones. Those days, I go out exploring. It's quiet this time of year with very few people about yet still plenty of nature to observe. But this winter, just as all over the country, it's been cold, raw, windy, rainy and gray. Not one good cloud to paint and a freeze that stripped the blooms and leaves off my quince and deadened huge parts of my rosemary. I have never longed for spring more.

But I was assured this week that spring is on the way because the Cedar Waxwings have arrived. They perch in the mimosa tree and only stay for a couple of days before moving on. I've got a couple of good pics so of course they will end up in my Between Heaven and Earth series. Till winter is pushed aside, I will dream of cups of tea under the trumpet vine-covered pergola with social butterflies for company.

Copyright E.M. Corsa 2015

2 comments:

  1. In spite of all the birds we have, I do envy you the cedar waxwings - a bird I've never seen in anything but photos. And your creativity in the butterflies making tea is wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I so love these birds. Sadly they only stay for a short while. Thanks for the compliment on the tea image. Love painting butterflies; in fact I love painting any type of bug!

    ReplyDelete