Thursday, August 27, 2015

Anticipation

Autumn has its foot in the front door, edging summer out the back filling me with anticipation. Yellowed leaves from the trumpet vine float to the deck with the slightest breath of a breeze. The few remaining blossoms draw several hummingbirds each day, hoping for that last sip of nectar. Fuchsia-colored berries cover the American Beauty Berry bushes and I fall asleep to the sound of the mimosa tree rattling its seed pods like a bag of bones.

I wake up with excitement now knowing that soon my winter birds will be coming in and boisterous clouds will fill the sky just waiting to have their portraits painted.

Next week I'll shop for new bird feeders to replace the ones the raccoons destroyed in the spring. And soon the cool nights will lure me outside to star gaze. Happy almost fall!







Silently, one by one
in the infinite meadows of the heavens,
blossomed the lovely stars, 
the forget-me-nots of the angels.

                            - Longfellow




No comments:

Post a Comment