Friday, October 9, 2015

Helplessly Hoping

I've been watching this little bird for a few days now. He manages to fly in and sit on the deck, alone. When the others fly off, he remains, regardless of the threat the other birds have detected. Each day I've ventured near but he struggles to fly off.

This morning, he barely made an effort to get away. So I scooped him up and brought him inside. I know there is nothing I can do. I know that when I peek on him at some point, probably today, he will have died. I feel so helpless. But I couldn't leave him to be ravaged by a stray cat. So I must take comfort in the fact that what I can do is give him a soft and safe place for however long he remains.




2 comments:

  1. You said is perfectly, Elizabeth - you are giving him a soft and safe place until he dies. What a loving thing to do. And perhaps he will model for a sketch or a painting while he's there?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Rhonda. But this afternoon, he rallied and was desperately trying to get out of the cage so I brought him outside. He promptly flew off into the Yaupon bush. I guess my thoughts are, if the worst happens, he'd rather be outside even if he dies than unhappy in a cage.I can relate to that.

    ReplyDelete