Friday, November 6, 2015

Here Be Dragons

Many years ago, I did a large painting called, Kimono Dragon. Get the pun? It ending up finding a home with a family in Hawaii where they hung it in their tea house. I received photos of the painting in its new home and it looked so perfect there. So I decided to do another Kimono Dragon only on a much smaller scale. Here's a look at the steps involved.



I like to begin with the layout and getting the background and collage elements placed. These are handmade Japanese papers fashioned after kimono patterns. The text and illustration are from a dictionary published in the mid 1800s.




Next, I add some details in pencil.




The finished painting in watercolor with colored pencil highlights. It's hard to see but the whole kimono has metallic gold accents.


Copyright E.M. Corsa 2015



2 comments:

  1. Pretty cool! Perfect for a tea house in Hawaii! ha ha

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Rhonda. I may hold onto him for a bit.

      Delete