Friday, November 13, 2015

Lesson Learned

Well, it finally happened. After a career spanning many, many years, the unthinkable happened. I had always said that people who love art are honest people. I have let art lovers take my work home with them when they didn't have their check book handy or just didn't have quite enough cash on hand.

So last month I did a show in Hertford, NC, one of my favorite shows actually because the people are so nice and welcoming. I had my French souvenir bracelets with me and a grandmother, well-dressed I might add, selected one of these bracelets for her granddaughter. It was a bit too big so I offered to take it home and resize it for her, send it back and if she was pleased she could send me a check or return the bracelet, no problem. I was not in the least concerned since I have done this before with no problems. It was a gift after all. I even paid the shipping and added a lovely note.

Weeks went by and no check or bracelet. I sent notes and called to no avail. It's safe to say I will never see this bracelet or my money that I work so hard to earn. The thing is, this was a favorite of mine and it looked so lovely on this sweet girl.

So thank you Arlene for teaching me not to be kind and trusting. When you give the bracelet to your granddaughter, I hope you think of me.


8 comments:

  1. How dare she! A pox on her house!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was surprised since this has never happened to me before. My fault I guess for being too trusting. Lesson learned!

      Delete
  2. Don't stop being kind and trusting...that's just one person. Think of all the positive experiences that you've had. Being kind feels so good!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're absolutely right Martha. Being kind does feel good. Thanks for reminding me. And perhaps something has happened in her life that I don't know about. :)

      Delete
  3. I'm so sorry this happened to you! I always think that the people who go out of their way to make sure you can have their product or service when you can't pay for it all at that moment are so, so lovely and they deserve to be repaid in more than just money. I know that you'll find the way to deal with this that's right for you, but just remember, you are a good person - you didn't do anything wrong.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are so sweet. I guess I was just so surprised and it was a large amount of money. But I am the eternal optimist and I truly believe most people are good so... Thank you for your kind words.

      Delete
  4. How very sad.....but most people are indeed good...so keep the faith...
    Kathy and Alice

    ReplyDelete
  5. You're so right Kathy. Thanks you for that.

    ReplyDelete