Monday, December 21, 2015

Church Mouse

In the 1600s, the phrase was "hungry as a church mouse." Churches back then didn't have kitchens so any mouse that was foolish enough to take up residence in a church would not be dining on cheesecake and would surely go hungry. Later, the phrase was changed to "poor as a church mouse."

I have always wanted to do a painting based on this phrase. But I wanted my mouse to be rich in spirit as well as material goods so he is wearing his Sunday best. The steeple on the left side of the painting is an original print from the 1800s. I did a lot of research on old church doors and decided to combine various elements into one door.

Here's step one. I have textured the background and then did a layout with pencil and adhered the steeple print to the watercolor paper, then sealing the print so it will never yellow.

Copyright E.M. Corsa

No comments:

Post a Comment