Wednesday, December 16, 2015

New Companions

Copyright E.M. Corsa 2015
For a long time I have had a Sharp-shinned Hawk visit The Crooked Little House a couple of times a day. He has gotten rather bold and perches atop the pergola even when I'm sitting underneath. He knows I'm there. He looks right at me. I enjoy his company. It seems as the years turn, I end up with new relationships. Some of you may remember my old friend Silver. He and I shared many nights together under this magical structure. Now it's my hawk. But wait...

Yesterday, a new hawk appeared; another Sharp-shinned, maybe a juvenile? He has more streaking and doesn't have the dark back and head. But I know it's a Sharp-shinned. He too perched on the pergola and the fence letting me take pics of him. I watched him launch after a dove, something I had never seen, but the dove got away. I know many of you are glad that happened. Though I love my doves, I was sorry this hawk didn't get anything to eat. He deserves sustenance too. It's not as easy for a bird of prey as people think.

The Sharp-shinned Hawk is the smallest hawk in North America and can be confused with a falcon. They are incredibly agile. Google this bird and read about it; fascinating. And, the hawk is considered a spiritual messenger. If you see one, or two, it means news is on the way.



No comments:

Post a Comment