Sunday, December 20, 2015

Special of the Day

Copyright E.M. Corsa 2015
ANOTHER new visitor. This one is much shyer, smaller and has a dark slate-blue back color. Check out the eye color - red instead of yellow like my two others. Red eyes, along with the slate color back tell me it's an adult, and because this one is quite small, most likely a male (females are bigger). My other hawk has yellow eyes and is mostly brown and heavily streaked, signs of him or her being a
juvenile.

Word must have gotten out about the good eats at The Crooked Little House though I've never seen one ever catch anything.



Copyright E.M. Corsa 2015

2 comments:

  1. Have seen our hawk once since we returned (since no one was putting out birdseed and suet, the birds had to be coaxed back when we came back - which takes about a week). Things are getting back to normal now, with the usual goldfinch, house wrens, cardinals, bluejays (the first to return), mourning doves, juncos returning. Haven't seen our Carolina wrens yet but I'm sure they'll be back soon. This girl is a fine specimen and you're lucky to get any shot of them at all - mine tend to see me before I see them when they are on the deck and I get just a shot of wings and them landing in a tree in another yard.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What kind do you have? I've added two better pics here. My hawks tend to let me get relatively close. They just look at me with disdain!

      Delete