Wednesday, February 17, 2016

For the Love of Rocks


One of my favorite events of the year is coming up this weekend - the gem and mineral show, sponsored by Treasures of the Earth. Anyone who knows me knows my obsession for rocks. I grew up digging for crystals with my Dad and brother, and as my boys got older, they became involved too. When I relocated here 20 years ago, I sold most of my furniture but lugged my huge quartz boulders and rock collection with me. Just cupping a green opal or a piece of bluestone in my hand makes my heart soar.

I love painting them too; either on YUPO or on hot press watercolor paper. I then reproduce them and create greeting cards complete with the meaning for the stone. My favorite is Picasso Stone, (actually a marble) said to be the stone of artists, acting like a muse to awaken intuitive painting. I keep a piece of it on my work table. Following a close second for me are the agates of which there are hundreds. The patterns and colors are glorious and a real challenge to paint.

So this weekend, I'll be saying hello to my favorite dealers and choosing some new friends to bring home. If you ever get a chance to go to one of these shows, please do. You artists will come back so inspired.

Check out their facebook page:  Treasures of the Earth  to see their show schedule.

This is one of numerous rock-filled dishes throughout my house.

My Card Line
Two of my favorites:  Bird's Eye Agate and Picasso Stone

These quartz crystals and beryl were dug by myself and my brother.











No comments:

Post a Comment