Friday, February 5, 2016

The Other Side

So here is the other side of the map. I promise you'll see the whole map eventually.

I've now begun to add color on top of the inked sketches of the birds. It's difficult to work on these reproduced maps. The paper I've chosen is not particularly heavy, making it tough to work with watercolor. You have to find the right balance with the amount of water and paint you use. And because every drop sinks in as soon as you lay it down (no lifting) you must be sure to get it right the first time. This paper is unforgiving to say the least. But I needed to keep it lightweight for the project this is going to turn into.

I've been painting on maps with watercolor for many years. When I first began, besides the challenge of the ratio of paint to water, I had to find a way to work on the heavily inked design on the map. It can be very slick making it almost impossible to lay down any paint and have it "stick." I sometimes use a little body color and it helps. One of the important parts of my work is keeping the image so the map still shows through. After much trial and error, I feel I have almost mastered this aspect of my map painting, but it's still a tightrope walk for sure. And there's no net.


Copyright E.M. Corsa 2016




2 comments:

  1. This is so interesting! I enjoy how you incorporate old things, whether it's your maps and watercolors or old collected things in your jewelry :) Good luck with this one. It's looking good!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you Rhonda. I love vintage and antique items, always have. They have a past and I like to imagine what it was. However, I have too much stuff; buckets and buckets of things that I fancy one day will make it into a piece. All of it would fit nicely in that table you posted!

    ReplyDelete