Monday, July 18, 2016

More Chaos

I have a huge collection of antique charts and maps. Because they are from the 1800s, the copyright has expired, and I am free to reproduce them onto a good paper and paint on them. The design work can be intense so once again it's that fine line - controlled chaos.

I love bees and frequent this subject often, I haven't seen many bees on my rosemary bush this year so I've painted this queen. Hopefully she can lure some others to come for a visit.


Queen Bee   Copyright E.M. Corsa  2016

4 comments:

  1. Beautiful, unique artwork! Do you still do field sketching?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I do. It's my favorite thing to do but this time of year is tough because I'm so busy. Fall, winter and spring are better. But I go out in my yard when time is limited. There is ALWAYS something to sketch.
    Thank you for the lovely compliment!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well, you know I like this! Especially her crown :) I imagine it's harder to paint on old maps or maybe you copy the map onto watercolor paper and then paint? Still, lots of composition thoughts going into these :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I reproduce them onto a card stock though it's tough to work on it because the inks make it slick. But it's also a benefit because it allows you to see the print underneath. Yes, composition is definitely a big consideration. Therein lies the chaos!

    ReplyDelete