Thursday, July 21, 2016

Ships, I mean Paintings in a Bottle

I have never been content to just create a painting, frame it and hang it on a wall, though of course my main source of income is derived from doing just that. But every so often, I like to break with tradition and find ways to exhibit my work in other formats. After all, not everyone can afford a large painting and some people just don't have any more wall space.

You've seen me offer handmade books, watch back charms, pocket shrines and jewelry, fanciful feathers, all showcasing my whimsical images. Companies have licensed my work for a variety of items; wine labels, clothing, home decor, stationary, etc. But what thrills me the most are the things I can make myself, from start to finish; those one-of-a-kind items that no one else will have.

So after a really crappy week, I decided to explore an idea that popped into my head recently. As a child I was always fascinated with ships in bottles. My parents would buy little ones for me and my brother while on a beach vacation. There was just something about holding it in my hand and taking it with me, placing it wherever I liked in my room. One day it might sit at the dressing table, the next it might be placed next to my bed where I could gaze at it and dream of the beach while drifting off to sleep. I think that's what I enjoy most about my pocket shrines, the ease of which they "travel" from one location to another.

So if a ship can reside in a bottle, why not a painting? I am now making original paintings on my antique maps and charts, inserting them into glass bottles and topping them with vintage jewelry bits and pieces. I have developed a process which ensures a good fit and allows air to circulate. And of course, before sealing the top into place, I add a little surprise inside. I will debut these at my next big show in three weeks with my ever growing inventory while I wait for the next light bulb to go off.


My sailor octopus and ghost crab.
A flamingo feather is nestled into the bottom of this painting in a bottle.


All Art Copyright E.M. Corsa 2016


No comments:

Post a Comment