Wednesday, August 24, 2016

Adaptability

I have a lot of friends that have gone through, or are going through, difficult situations; medical, financial, mental anguish, etc. I too have had my share. Most of you know I went through a serious case of cancer 7 years ago. I mention this, not for sympathy but to celebrate the way most of us manage to adapt and continue on.


While photographing some Swallowtails flitting through the buttery, late afternoon sun, I noticed many of them had tattered wings, some quite severe. Was it a sign of age? Was it an escape from a deadly attack just as I had managed to escape my foe? How do they still manage to fly so gracefully? Are they afraid they will have to be strong and survive again in another situation?







It made me think about how sometimes we put so much emphasis on what's gone wrong we forget about what we still have left. Nature adapts beautifully, whether it's in animal form or human animal. Despite their tattered wings, they fly gracefully, sip nectar and delight my senses. They live in the present moment. Yesterday is over and tomorrow doesn't exist.

We could learn a lesson here.


No comments:

Post a Comment