Saturday, October 22, 2016

Rocks in My Head

I am blanketed with challenges lately; roof repair, siding replacement, computer issues, all while dealing with a limited budget. But as always, creating art takes me to another place where I can put all that aside and forget my daily life for a while.

I've been listening to my friend Randall about learning patience and sticking with things. Because of him I have gone back to working on Yupo, and he was right. A bit of patience works wonders.

Many of you know of my fondness for rocks and minerals. I've been collecting them since childhood, toting them through adulthood along with memories of my dad and brother who taught me so much. Turns out, Yupo is the perfect "paper" to work on for this, one of my favorite subjects. So I pulled out a handful of my specimens and went to work.

Yupo, for those of you who don't know about the stuff, is a synthetic paper, basically plastic, challenging to say the least. It doesn't absorb the paint so you must manipulate it into your subject. I work with watercolors making it even more tortuous. But because it doesn't get absorbed, the colors stay true and bright. And the end results, if done right, are well worth the effort. And it's always inspiring to try new things. That's what artists do.

So here's a peek at some of my most recent efforts. I'm rather pleased!

Rainbow Flint

Botswana Pink Agate

Rainbow Agate


All artwork Copyright E.M. Corsa 2016


2 comments: