Tuesday, November 8, 2016

My Best Work

My best work rarely gets seen, kept
between black covers of my sketchbooks. Everyone has heard me speak of the importance of keeping a sketchbook. I have done so for over 40 years, and stacks of them fill bookcases and closets, bursting with treasured memories of my life and my children's lives. That alone makes them valuable; looking back through the pages and remembering a certain trip, a new sighting of a bird...

The other reason I think my best work is contained within these black, spiral-bound books is that the images are fresh, something that can never be recaptured again on paper in the studio. Each drawing or sketch is dressed with sunshine, a breeze, and smells of the earth.

I have found almost all my clients are most interested in my sketchbooks, even more so than the finished work. I have been asked to sell some of them and occasionally I will if they are not personal ones. Sketching on location keeps me in practice. And it doesn't have to be outdoors. I have sketched in a doctors office, hospital, restaurant, etc.

So I'm sharing some of my favorites with you from years past. Maybe it will encourage you to get out a book and begin a sketch journal for yourself.









All Artwork Copyright E.M. Corsa 2016

No comments:

Post a Comment