Monday, November 28, 2016

"Night"

I am still in the  midst of holiday shows; two more to go. But I found some time to finish a project I began a while ago.

I have a fondness for old children's books. It's not the content I am drawn to. It's the covers showing cute little animals or the catchy titles that capture my imagination. The way my mind works, I envision how I would illustrate the book. So when I find one for a good price, I purchase it.

All of these books are gutted when I get them. Sorry to those of you who just gasped. Some of them become my sketchbooks. My old Winnie the Pooh has end papers of the 100 Acre Wood, so this one was perfect to use when I go to sketch in Nags Head Woods. Others become a visual story with my artwork, both original work and reproductions, based on the title of the book.

These artist books take a lot of work and a lot of time. They are not completed in a single sitting or two. And they are priced quite high because of all the work inside. So when one is sold, it's very meaningful to me.

And that's just what happened at the show this past weekend. My book, "Night" sold to a lovely woman who treated it so gently, hugging it to her chest and saying she couldn't go home without it. I'd like to share the pages of that book with you. Featured is the masked Sandman, the Tooth Fairy, the Astrologer disguised as a hare, and other snippets found in those wee hours. I even managed to add my sketch of this year's Super Moon.






All Art Copyright E.M. Corsa

2 comments:

  1. Do you take out the pages in the books and then insert your own paintings on watercolor paper, binding them as you go - or do a whole book at a time? Lovely work!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the compliment! I do both, depending. The one I'm working on now will take time so I do a little at a time and when it's finished, I'll insert it.

    ReplyDelete