Wednesday, December 7, 2016

Alligator River Calling

Finally my show season is winding down with only one more show this coming weekend. Now I have more time to sketch, paint and get back to being an artist.

Living on my barrier island, everything is far away. I had to make a delivery to Edenton yesterday, a couple of hours away on the mainland. And of course, each time I have to deliver art, it's raining.

My route on the way home goes past my all-time favorite place to wander and sketch - Alligator River Refuge, and yes we have alligators here on the mainland. I can NEVER pass by this refuge without pulling in for a while. The sky was beginning to clear, and the sun was highlighting the fields with burnt golds and reds. So even though it was getting late in the day, I managed to stay until darkness began to set in. It's amazing to me how easy it is to fall right back into my sketchbook, no matter how long it has been since I've been out working on location. I did a few quick sketches, watched the bears for a bit, then headed home.

Many of you know I teach field sketching. I am a big believer in keeping sketchbooks and working on location. I just booked 9 brave souls for a workshop in mid January. It is my favorite thing to do.


Hopefully I'll now have some time each week to explore my favorite haunts and to share my sketches and thoughts on this blog a bit more often!

No comments:

Post a Comment