Wednesday, January 4, 2017

A Summer Moment in the Midst of Winter

Each year, my Mimosa tree is laden with butterflies, perched on the pink, 
filigree blossoms. I sketch them over and over and take lots of photographs 
but have never done a painting of one of them.

You all know how I love all things with wings so here in the midst of a raw, rainy day, 
I began a painting of a butterfly. I thought I'd share it in steps for you.


I first sketched in the butterfly with suggested markings, and there are lots of them! Then I began to lay in the background and the blossom, not fussing too much.


Next I decided to begin my collage work since the placement is crucial to the whole piece. I take my time with this step, choosing colors and texture carefully to be sure 
one part doesn't take the focus off the subject.



Now it's time to begin developing the blossom, adding the layers of paint in just the right color, reaching deep into the blossom to create the right shadows.



And finally, I put all my efforts into the butterfly with a touch up 
here and there and it's finished.
Hope you enjoyed seeing how I put this together.







4 comments:

  1. Beautiful! I loved blowing this one up and seeing the tiny marks on the mimosa - they are such fairy flowers and attract butterflies and hummingbirds so well :). I like the quote, too - it's the tiny beautiful things we need to focus on this year (and thanks for reminding me of that).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love that you took the time to really "look" and mention the quote. It's one of my favorites. Thank you Rhonda!

      Delete