Tuesday, January 10, 2017

Year Round Field Sketching

Like everywhere else, it's cold here. I've been sketching the birds through the windows because it's just too cold to do so outside. But I'm happy to report that things will begin warming up tomorrow.

This coming Saturday I have six brave souls signed up to take a field sketching class. I have been concerned about what the weather would be like in mid-January. Our days here on the island range from 70s and sunny to 20 degrees with a strong wind. But all looks good for Saturday.

As I have said over and over, field sketching is my favorite thing to do. It keeps me inspired, in practice and brings a freshness to my studio work. It's also a wonderful form of meditation for me since I put everything aside and focus on the present moment.

I love teaching and seeing the look on students faces when they realize they can draw and create a pleasing page in their sketchbook. Years from now, they'll be able to look back at that page and remember what the day brought them. Hopefully it will open a new world up to some of them, and they will continue to use their sketchbooks for the rest of their lives.

If you're ever in my area, give me a call. We'll pack a lunch, and I'll take you to some of favorite haunts where we can spend hours observing and sketching the wildlife. Now doesn't that sound like a fun day?


2 comments:

  1. Wonderful field sketches - I hope the weather cooperates for your class! And I will definitely take you up on the offer for a day trip out with you sometime!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It looks like it will be in the 40s with some sun so we lucked out. It should be a lot of fun.

    ReplyDelete