Saturday, March 25, 2017

Burn Baby Burn

I think I've mentioned that I just cannot drive by the Alligator River Refuge without pulling in for awhile to wander the gravel roads, watching birds, bear, and whatever else may be about on a lovely spring afternoon.



So after teaching another class on field sketching in Hertford, I pulled into the refuge to see billows of smoke rising up from the horizon behind the fields. I did a couple of sketches and watched for awhile, puzzling as to where the fire was.



Upon pulling back onto the road home, I found the source; a control burn of the marsh. Driving by it was awe inspiring; a curtain of wavering air and flame. Controlled burns are common here, and after doing the sketches I decided to do a finished painting from them back in the studio.




The Burn

2 comments:

  1. Beautiful. Love the immediacy of the sketchbook paintings with the red-orange colors at the bottom of the smoke, and the crazy shapes made in the yupo painting which makes it even more wild.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am loving this Yupo Rhonda. It's giving me exactly what I want to express. Thanks for the compliment.

    ReplyDelete