Sunday, March 5, 2017

Jockey's Ridge, one more time

As I say over and over again, nothing is as fresh as my first sketches done on location. You can see why I say that by scrolling down to the original sketch of this dune posted a little while ago.

But the value of those sketches is this. Not only do they bring back the memory of that gorgeous day, working in a light breeze as the dune changed colors, but these sketches allow me to go back and work from them. No, I do not like this as much as the sketch. It's too "finished," too careful. But it will be turned into a concertina book, and I think when it's extended out on a table or mantle, it will still have that aura of the dune about it. And perhaps it will still carry a memory or two of a visit to Jockey's Ridge for whoever purchases it.




the finished book

2 comments:

  1. Quick sketches are always the best (in my opinion) because we spend less time fussing over a painting (I think). Maybe we should time ourselves in our studios so we don't have too much time to fuss? I like this

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I always fuss way too much. Ah well...

      Delete