Saturday, March 11, 2017

Over the River and Through the ... Swamp

Nothing is nearby.

My island is two hours away from everything. No Barnes and Noble here to squander an hour or two browsing through racks of books, no Target or Pier One to purchase those necessary things you don't really need, and no museums to haunt for inspiration. The lack of these things keep my island charming, but sometimes you just need a fix of traffic, people, and clothing without starfish or dolphins on it. 

This week I had the pleasure of conducting a workshop on Drawing Birds in the lovely town of Hertford - over two hours away. Four or five bridges, (I lost count) and mile after mile of swampland later, I finally reached my destination and was greeted by 10 of the most talented women ever. Their 20 hands produced some incredible art that day.

Drawing birds is hard work. Getting the proportions correct, the posture, eyes, beaks and bills, etc. It took a bit of time but soon everyone got the hang of how to accomplish what they were after. Nothing makes me happier than to see people realize how gifted they truly are. 

One student told me she could look at the first drawing we did and see how much she progressed in three short hours. That made my heart swell as did the fact that two students are coming back for the field sketching workshop in two weeks and two others are joining me at the bird park workshop in April.

If I'm going to drive two hours for a reward, I think I found the best one in Hertford, and I can't wait to go back in a couple of weeks. 



Home.


2 comments:

  1. Sounds like it was a good workshop with attentive students who learned a lot - well worth the drive :). Congratulations!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. I so love teaching. These girls were fabulous. I'll be doing another workshop there in a couple of weeks. Absolutely worth the drive. Makes me happier than a new skirt from Stein Mart would!

      Delete