Thursday, June 1, 2017

Bigger is Better?????????????

Since I began showing my new landscape paintings, I have constantly been asked if I do larger pieces. Most people know I favor small, intimate paintings, always have. I like small; I drive a small car, live in a small house, will choose a cupcake over a large slice of cake, and I do not not lead an extravagant lifestyle. This is not a judgment, it is a preference.

And working on Yupo, I can become so frustrated with a small painting I couldn't imagine working larger. But recently I decided to give it a go. I had done a quick study while passing through Alligator River Refuge, and it demanded a larger format. It would have lost that "something" that drew me to it in the first place if I had painted it in a diminutive size. Now keep in mind, large for me is 16 by 20 or 18 by 24 inches. This was to be 9 by 17 inches. (I have always been drawn to a panoramic format.)

When it was finished, I must admit it had a certain power befitting the subject. I liked it. Surprisingly I enjoyed the process of working larger, leading to a real sense of accomplishment. Next up was an 18 by 24 inch painting of a favorite snag at the creek's edge. I had sketched it a few times in the past thank goodness since these snags tend to fall in a good storm which are common here.

I expect these larger paintings will sell if I can bear to part with them, mainly to people with the bigger homes on the northern beaches. I will admit it is a bit draining to me, tackling a larger piece. But I think I'm hooked and will occasionally make room for the bigger picture,


However, when I look at my 5 by 7 inch painting of a shipworm casing on a blue sponge, I am still enchanted with its small size and its big impact.

4 comments:

  1. Taking yourself out of your comfort zone can lead to amazing results! Go for it. We'll all benefit!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What a wonderful thing to say, and so right. It's been exciting and reinvigorating! Thanks Dominique!

      Delete
  2. I like all of these and don't really pay much attention to size when viewing them on a blog or on FB - to me, bigger is just bigger and some more intimate paintings are very worthy (although the juried shows in my area seem to want bigger paintings). Follow your instincts and they'll lead you small, big or in-between = whatever the subject calls for :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great advice my friend! But shows do like the bigger paintings.

    ReplyDelete