Saturday, July 1, 2017

Sometimes We Fall

I've been stumbling lately. It's not because of any major event. It could be the fact my oldest is once again relocating, to the west coast this time, even farther away. My other son also lives far away, and I miss them both. Or maybe it's because of lagging sales; it's summer after all and people don't shop for paintings as much this time of year. They are more interested in trinkets and souvenirs. I'm just feeling a bit off kilter.

I know if I allowed it, this could turn into a major fall, the way trees will eventually give up and topple over, worn out and lacking the physical and spiritual strength to go on. That can be a tempting option, one we have all felt at certain times in our lives. Luckily this isn't one of those times.

Now many of us would head for that gallon of ice cream at this point, spoon in hand and ice cream container in the other, and I would too if I had any in the house. But since I try to keep healthy food in the pantry, and let's face it, a piece of fruit or a carrot isn't going to help, my next option to get out of my funk is to grab a friend with a kind, open heart. And that's just what I did.

That was all I needed to get right again. This time I didn't fall. Here's a favorite quote of mine by Dinah Maria Mulock Craik.

"Oh the comfort - the inexpressible comfort
of feeling safe with a person.
Having neither to weigh thoughts,
Nor measure words - but pouring them
All right out - just as they are -
Chaff and grain together -
Certain that a faithful hand will
Take and sift them -
Keep what is worth keeping -
And with the breath of kindness
Blow the rest away."




Thank you Mary Ann.

2 comments:

  1. How wonderful that you could turn to a trusted friend in this time. We all have those times of being slightly off and out-of-sorts and it does help to have someone to talk to, to even have a shoulder to cry on without any judgment at all, just a good listening ear or two :) Hope you are back to feeling 100% soon.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good to go today! Can't even figure out why I felt like that. But I am lucky to have a few good friends. Thank you Rhonda!

    ReplyDelete