Wednesday, August 16, 2017

Gar Territory

I don't have much time these days to go out and sketch, and most of you know I do not work from photographs, preferring to interpret my sketches in my own way back in the studio. I have galleries to fill, shows to attend, commissions to complete and it's just too hot to be out there most days. But my spirit grows weak when I go this long without working outside.

Yesterday, I was all dressed up and on my way to a meeting when I glanced right and noticed the water in the sound, or lack there of. It's been some time since I've seen it this shallow, and with all the rain we've had I don't quite understand why it's like this. But the sand showing through the upper layers of ripples, and the light that is just beginning to shift to another season, and the Gar, oh the Gar.

So as you've guessed, I pulled over, grabbed my sketch bag and made my way to the water's edge in my favorite black dress and sandals. For 20 minutes or so I sketched and marveled, studied and absorbed. I saw a small Gar, no bigger than 6 inches, hunting for prey. I've never seen one in the process of feeding. He swam slowly by, stopped still and shot like an arrow to his target. Never have I seen anything move so fast.

I have learned to take those few minutes when something presents itself. I would never have seen that Gar and might never have that experience again. My soul was refilled with water and light. And my dress will wash clean.

2 comments:

  1. I'm so glad that you are this busy with your art life! And also very glad you stopped to do these and share them = gorgeous!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Rhonda. Wish I was a little less busy though.

    ReplyDelete