Tuesday, October 10, 2017

The Governors Project


I have been taking a bit of a break, a few health issues plus an incredibly busy schedule. So I thought with this first return post I would tell you what I'm up to. I wrote the following paragraphs and posted them on my Facebook page just after the Las Vegas horror:
From my Facebook page:
I try very hard to keep the posts on this page about my work. But tonight I can't stop crying. I just saw my son's photo on the news again, his eyes filled with tears, as they recapped all the terror of the past including the Pulse Nightclub shooting where my child provided comfort and care amidst chaos. I am sick of seeing symbolic ribbons, tired of promises and prayers that things will get better. 30% of the world's mass shootings happen in this country. Why is that? Nothing changes and nothing happens after all the promises by politicians that it will. People say they feel helpless, but we have more power than we realize. Do more than just post your ribbon; contact those with the power to make changes and demand they do so. This is not a political statement, it's a human one. Do one nice thing for someone today. It all matters.
Two days later I posted this:
Yesterday I recalled something my son said during Orlando's dark days. He had the pleasure of meeting Senator Bill Nelson and was impressed by his response and efforts after the shootings. I have been told my art brings joy to people so that's the format I will use to try to make a difference my way. I will be writing to every governor, my heartfelt thoughts and suggestions which I deem valuable. I won't be sharing my letters here since they are for the recipient only, but you've read my feelings over the last couple of days and most of you know how I feel. I also will include a small painting of their state bird, since birds are considered to be divine messengers from above, as an offering of joy for those days when governors must make tough decisions. I hope my letters and art make a bit of a difference, prompting each governor to pause for a moment and consider his or her actions and how it will affect all of us. I am doing this alphabetically and it will take time. Some will receive letters long after the initial horror of this week has dimmed. But I will keep writing, So here's a look at the first birds that have taken wing. The text has been carefully selected from antique poetry books. I hope each of you will take some action no matter how small to make a difference.

Alabama - Yellowhammer
Alaska - Willow Ptarmigan



American Samoa - Many Colored Fruit Dove

Arizona - Cactus Wren


2 comments:

  1. Oh, my, you are doing a wonderful thing and giving to much while asking for so little - end the sale of assault weapons now (how hard is this to do and how hard to ignore these killings each time for more money from the NRA?). These are gorgeous paintings and I hope they touch each person who sees them and makes them think about their choices for the future. Thank you for sharing. (I, too, saw your son's photo and said, "That's my blogger friend's son!" and then went on to tell the people watching with me about his work.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for reading this long post! If only one person gives my letter some thought, it's worth it.

    ReplyDelete